Charleston dentists Dr. James Dickert and Dr. Agatha Lynn offer treatment options for replacing missing teeth, including dentures and partial dentures.
Dentures are false teeth and traditionally the only option for people missing most or all of their teeth. The traditional option for restoring a functional smile, today’s dentures can offer a natural looking smile and secure fit with advanced technology and improved materials and techniques. Get the best restorative dental care at West Ashley Family Dentistry today.
A denture is a removable dental appliance and a replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissue. They are made in a dental lab with impressions of your mouth to closely resemble your natural teeth and may even enhance your smile. Dentures are considered very durable appliances and will last many years but may have to be remade, repaired, or readjusted due to normal wear. They also require daily care and maintenance. They are not permanent meaning your artificial teeth are removed and put back in daily for care and maintenance. However, they are a quick and affordable way to replace missing teeth.
Types of Dentures
West Ashley Family Dentistry can offer patients with missing teeth all types of dentures, including implant secured options for the most stable result.
- Partial Denture: Partials are either made with a plastic base or metal framework that will support the number of teeth missing. These are designed to stay in place with clasps and rests that will form around the remaining teeth.
- Full Dentures: These are for patients missing an entire arch of teeth. They are typically made of plastic base that is colored to blend in with the gums. This base is designed to stay in place by forming a seal with your gums.
- Implant Dentures: Implant-supported dentures are permanently attached to the jaw using dental implants. A series of strategically placed implants will be surgically implanted into your jaw bone. After a period of healing (usually three to six months), your denture will be attached giving you a secure and durable new set of teeth. They provide the highest rate of patient satisfaction. Learn more about dental implants vs dentures.
Benefits of Implant Secured Dentures
Dental implants can be used effectively to permanently secure a denture or partial denture for superior results when compared to traditional techniques and options. This is accomplished with a procedure known as All On Four®, which provides several key benefits for both overall health and lifestyle:
- Reduce bone loss and shrinkage in the jaw
- No slipping or fear of teeth “falling out”
- Enables a healthy, varied diet
- Normal speech for confidence in social settings
- No need for the use of daily adhesives
- No one will notice they are there because they look very natural
- Will not take up as much space in your mouth compared to traditional dentures
Schedule An Appointment
If you have missing teeth and would like to learn more about how we can help you restore your daily quality of life with a functional smile, schedule an appointment in our Charleston dentist office. Contact us at (843) 371-5480 or request an appointment online.